Blog Posting for 2/27/2015
This week news4kids.org aired the following stories:
Korean Café Celebrates Chinese New Year K-3
Carnival in Rio 4-8
Best in Show K-3
Michelangelo Discovery 4-8
Newscast: Korean Café Celebrates Chinese New Year K-3
Essential Question: What are some features of the Chinese zodiac calendar?
Vocabulary: zodiac, symbol, ancient
– Identify the Chinese zodiac calendar as an ancient calendar based on a twelve- year cycle, with each year representing a different animal.
– Name their own zodiac animal.
– Explain how the different animals are often associated with different personality traits.
Summary: A small cafe in Seoul, South Korea has a unique way of bringing in new customers. People who visit the cafe can play with two sheep while they wait for their food. The sheep are very social and let the visitors pet them and take pictures.
The owner of the restaurant opened the sheep cafe in 2011, but it has been particularly busy this year. According to the Chinese zodiac calendar, 2015 is the year of the sheep. In South Korea, many people see the sheep as a symbol of kindness and respect for parents.
Newscast: Carnival in Rio 4-8
Essential Question: What is Carnival and how is it celebrated?
Vocabulary: Carnival, Mardi Gras, Lent, repent, Samba
– Identify both Carnival and Mardi Gras as celebrations that occur before Lent.
– Identify the Carnival celebration in Rio as the largest in the world.
– Identify the Samba as a Brazilian dance that has become popular in many countries around the world.
Summary: Carnival has been around for centuries, and is celebrated in several countries around the world, but the largest Carnival celebration is in the city of Rio de Janeiro, which is attended by millions of Brazilians and tourists every year.
Newscast: Best in Show K-3
Essential Question: What happens at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show?
Vocabulary: breed, stray, disability, competition, coveted
– Identify the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show as a big event in which hundreds of dogs compete in many different categories.
– Note that there are 400 existing breeds of dogs.
Summary: From cute and cuddly to big and hairy, an array of dog breeds were shown at the prestigious Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show this year. The furry competition took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. This years winner, a four-year-old Beagle named Miss P, came out on top of her breed and then won the hound group on her way to the Best in Show title. In the final competition, she was up against a puffy poodle named Flame, a friendly sheepdog named Swagger, and silky shih tzu named Rocket.
Newscast: Michelangelo Discovery 4-8
Essential Question: How did the two bronze statues become linked to Michelangelo?
Vocabulary: Michelangelo, evidence, Sistine Chapel, dissect, anatomical
– Identify Michelangelo as a famous artist from the Italian Renaissance.
– Identify at least two of Michelangelo’s works.
– Explain how two bronze statues were identified as likely belonging to Michelangelo.
Summary: The Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge England is now the home of two sculptures made by one of the most famous artists of all time, Michelangelo. Art experts believed the two sculptures might be the work of Michelangelo but not until recent evidence was found could they confirm that the works were from the great Renaissance artist.