Blog Posting for 10/3/2014
This week news4kids.org aired the following stories:
Blue Lobster K-2
US Targets ISIS 3-5
Baby Penguin at Philippines Zoo K-2
Royal Baby On the Way 3-5
Newscast: Blue Lobster K-2
Essential Question: What is special about Skyler the lobster?
Vocabulary: lobster, crab, clam, mussel, sea urchin, ocean, aquarium, rare, trait, genetic mutation
– Identify the blue lobster as a kind of lobster with a genetic mutation, or rare trait.
– Identify lobsters as marine crustaceans that can be found in all five oceans and have big claws
Summary: A lobsterman and his daughter caught a rare blue lobster. Due to the rareness of this blue animal, it was brought to the Boothbay Maine State Aquarium. At the aquarium, it will join 3 other rare blue lobsters, and an orange one! The aquarium will be able to protect and help these creatures to survive.
Newscast: US Targets ISIS 3-5
Essential Question: Why does the US feel it is necessary to stop the spread of ISIS?
Vocabulary: airstrike, militant, Kurdish, ISIS, Sunni, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Muhammad, prophet, caliph, Shari’a, Saddam Hussein, stability
– Identify ISIS as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, a terrorist group that is using brutal tactics in trying to create an Islamic nation.
– Explain that the U.S. is launching targeted airstrikes to bring aid to the Kurdish peoples in Iraq and other groups in Syria, and to stop the spread of ISIS.
Summary: Recently, Pres. Obama authorized targeted airstrikes in Iraq and Syria to combat the militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, otherwise known as ISIS or ISIL. The Islamic State is made up of extreme Sunni Muslims who are fighting to take over territory in Iraq and Syria. The objectives are to protect the Kurdish people in northern Iraq and other groups in Syria and Iraq who cannot protect themselves from ISIS fighters, and to stop the spread of the Islamic State.
Newscast: Baby Penguin K-2
Essential Question: What new baby animal was born at the Manila Ocean Park in the Philippines?
Vocabulary: Humboldt, flippers, krill, predators, camouflage, Emperor
– Describe the unique attributes of a penguin.
– Identify Humboldt penguins as ones that are native to South America, known for their loud calls and black bands around their bodies.
Summary: The Manila Ocean Park in the Philippines has hatched its first baby penguin from their new hatching program. The new baby is a Humboldt penguin.
Although the Philippines is not a place where you would usually find penguins, the penguins at the Manila Ocean Park are very happy in the habitat that park workers have created for them. The brand new baby penguin will grow up with lots of friends in the park, learning from his mom and dad, and swimming as much as he pleases.
Newscast: Royal Baby on the Way 3-5
Essential Question: What is the exciting news in Great Britain?
Vocabulary: House of Windsor, monarchy, prime minister
– Define a monarchy in everyday language.
– Identify the Prime Minister as the political leader of Great Britain.
Summary: Prince William and Duchess Catherine are expecting a second baby. Their first child, Prince George, was born last summer. The Royal Family, known as the House of Windsor, is the monarchy of the United Kingdom. The British monarchy grew out of European feudal kingdoms in the 10th century. In a monarchy, kings and queens pass their power down to their children and family members. Unlike in the past, the Royal Family does not have any significant political control in the United Kingdom. No date has yet been set for the birth of the future prince or princess, but undoubtedly, it will be an event celebrated around the world.